Home » Personal Life » Personal Narrative: The Move Essay

Personal Narrative: The Move Essay

Just thinking about that warm, June day, still brings tears to my eyes. I have always loved my life the way it was; waking up, eating breakfast, going to school, learning, leaving school, go to dance until late, come back home and do homework, and then go to sleep. This was my daily routine. I always had to make sure that I worked hard, which I did. For school, I was in the third grade and currently in all honors courses. In dance, I was doing a solo, had four group numbers, and a production number.

I am sure some people believe that this is an abundance of work and that it is tiring, yet I on the other hand found it extremely enjoyable and entertaining because I did the two things | admired; dance and school. Unknowingly, I was going to be losing all that I had very soon as the most unexpected thing was about to happen “Kaitlyn, get in the car or we are going to be late! ” “Going! ” I yelled. I was going to school and was so sorrowful because it was almost the last day of the school year. The actual last day of school would be tomorrow, but today was the last day of exams.

On these tests, there are numerous difficult questions and we are supposed to remember everything that happened throughout the whole school year to get a high score then pass. Being that we had to be quiet, it wasn’t going to be terrible since it was going to be the last day of all the exams. When we were done, we were allowed to go to the field and hang around with our friends. I would sense all the weight lifted off my shoulders as I finished my tests, and I was going to be able to be with my best friends on the field once we finished. Upon my arrival, I ran straight to class and entered promptly.

The teacher was just about to start calling attendance and the bell was going to ring in less than a minute. After she finished, the tests were handed out and it was time for the last examination, and I was prepared. After what felt like years, school finally ended. I barged into my house and quickly changed. Once I was ready, I proceeded downstairs and I set foot in the car as my mom drove me to the studio. When we arrived, everyone was rehearsing their group numbers for tomorrow’s competition. I walked to my class and started rehearsing as well as the other dancers.

After five or six extremely long hours of dance, I came home and plopped on the couch. About a minute after I laid there, my parents said they needed to sit down and speak with me. In this nervous time, I followed my parents into the living room as I bit my fingernails and played with the edge of my shirt. They sat me down and were trying to tell me something, however they were beating around the bush. I begged them to face me directly. And that’s when the whole world seemed to freeze, I could feel my eyes getting watery, and my heart skipped a beat; they told me we were moving.

Even through this difficult stage, I was astounded at what I had just heard. How could they possibly make us move when all my friends were here and we were together! If I moved, their schedules would be packed with dance or school, and there would be barely any time to be with them! I was filled with mixed emotions. I was furious at my parents, and I kept clenching and unclenching my fists while looking straight at them. Additionally, I felt the urge to burst out into tears, which did happen. I felt each and every single tear drop slowly drizzle down the sides of my cheeks. Lastly, I was in total shock.

I couldn’t process any thoughts. I felt just like a big blob of emotions. Questions then flowed into my head the more I thought about it. How had it come down to this? When had they settled on their decision? Why didn’t they tell me sooner? Reassuring me, my parents had told me everything was going to be okay. They spoke to me about the new house and about the new city. I really care much, but I did care about my friends, wondering how they would react. Deciding to just leave the subject alone for a while, I chose to go upstairs. After a long shower, I went to my bed and pulled the covers on top of me; I was exhausted.

I yawned and felt my eyes start to become heavy and finally I fell asleep. It was the next, and the final day of school and I knew this was going to be a difficult day from the start. Being glum was never the best way to start my day. Like always, my mother yelled for me to get in the car as my shoulders were drawn down as | slouched, and I was staring at the floor as I headed down the stairs. While I was getting in the car, I tried my hardest to hold in my emotions. I blinked a few times and pondered of happy thoughts, hoping I would find it beneficial.

I arrive at school, once again in a timely fashion, but instead of doing work, today we were going to be having a more social day. This is when we would all play games, go to the fields, and socialize. These days were amazing, because it was the only time we were free and had the best time of the school year. Time flew by so quickly that it hadn’t been until one of the administrators blew their whistles, indicating for us to head back to the cars, and students picking up their things, that I realized the day was over and I had to say goodbye. I was a wreck.

My eyes just flooded up with tears, my hair was frizzy, and I just wanted to stay put and never move. My friends questioned me if I was okay, and that’s when I nervously and gloomily told them the news. It was extremely difficult telling them. I gulped so many times just to get some words out and they would just not make their way out of my mouth. Right after I told them, we started hugging, which lasted for a long time until another one of the supervisors told us to start heading back to the cars or else we were going to be late. Saying goodbye to them nearly killed me.

They were my a few of my best friends and we always hung out together. I knew this wasn’t going to be the last of them, yet it sure did feel like it was. Our hugs were so tight, and our looks gave away our weeping mood. “See you soon! ” One exclaimed. “Miss you already! ” Stated another one “You better talk to me everyday! ” added the last one of the group. I laughed and waved goodbye as I entered the car. My mom automatically started driving to the competition. It was about forty-five minutes from where we were, so we had to hurry to perform on-time. I had to change in the car into my first number which was my solo.

Like my other solos, it was a very heavy piece of fabric, and the actual costume itself put together was extremely heavy. So, that did not improve. When I finished getting dressed, my mother did my makeup and put the horrible, sticky fake eyelashes on my eyes. Once I stepped into the competition, I completely forgot about moving. It was time for me to focus on the competition. When it was our time to get on the stage, we performed all of the numbers. Next thing | knew, it was time for the awards, the last part of the competition. The day was going by faster than lightning.

I walked down the stairs with my high gold medal, which I was very proud of. This was my last medal, so I was excited to have this as my award. High gold was only one level away from the highest. Thugged my mom and dad as my mother nudged me indicating that we had to leave. I begged her to let us stay a bit longer, but we still had some packing to do. I approached the teachers first. They had already known, so they had hugged me tightly in a group. Tears were slowly streaming down their faces. After about two minutes of embracing, they let go, so I could say bye to everyone else. “We will always keep in contact,” a few mentioned in unison.

Definitely! ” I informed them. There would be small talk between me and every few people now and then, but I had to get going. I hugged every person | could and tried to not cry, which had not worked. By the second hug, my tears starting bursting out of my eyes. I have been friends with most of these dancers since we were three years old. Saying goodbye to them stung even more than how it did with my friends at school. Once all the squeezing was done, I had to leave. I said my thank you’s and my final goodbye’s. As walked out the dark brown door, I was still stunned at everything that was happening at that moment.

Taking a deep breath in and letting it out, I turned around, smiled, glanced down at my trophy, and walked to the car. That was my last, and favorite competition that will never be forgotten. The day hurt me so much as if a wave was crashing through my soul. I couldn’t bare leaving everyone. That’s when it hit me, I might never come in contact with them again. I started weeping and slowly sobbing. With the help of my parents, I became relaxed. We quickly went back to the house to double-check that the moving van was still packing, except it turned out they just finished. My parents and I returned back in the car.

I turned around watching my house slowly fade as we drove further away. I could still smell the gas coming from the moving truck along with the bumpy road that we were currently on. I observed everything the whole car trip, trying to memorize each thing I had seen such as nature, houses, roads, stores, and more. We arrived to the new house about forty minutes later. It was officially time to get used to living here. I knew it was going to be difficult, but all it took was some getting used to. Like Judith Minty once stated, “Nothing remains as it was. If you know this, you can begin again, with pure joy in the uprooting. “

Cite This Work

To export a reference to this essay please select a referencing style below:

Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.