Home » Perry Hall » Perry Hall MD

Perry Hall MD

Perry  Hall  is  located  in  Northeast  Baltimore  County.  It  is  a
prominent  community  with  many  businesses.  Its  boundaries  are  often
confused  with  that  of  White  Marsh  because  they  share  many  things,
including  White  Marsh  Mall.  Even though  it  is  named  White  Marsh  Mall,
Perry  Hall  and  White  Marsh  boundaries  cut  through  the  mall.  Most  people
know  that  Perry  Hall  is  a  old  town.  The  town  was  established  before  it
was  called  Perry  Hall.  Perry  Hall  has  had  many  names,  Germantown  being
one.  The  town  was  finally  called  Perry  Hall  in  1775  after  Perry  Hall
mansion,  started  by  Corbin  Lee  and  finished  by  Harry  Dorsey  Gough.
Gough  named  it  after  his  home  Staffordshire,  England  Perry  Hall.
Perry  Halls  earliest  records  of  settlement  are  the  Susquehannock
Indians.  The  Susquehannock  Indians  settled  near  what  was  then  called
Gunpowder  River  Valley;  now  called  Gunpowder  Falls  State  Park.  In  1608,
Captain  John  Smith  lead  the  first  European  exploration  of  Gunpowder  River
Valley.  In  1658,  the  first  Europeans  began  to  settle  in  the  Gunpowder
River  Valley.  In  1669,  Henry  Howard  acquired  200  acres  of  land,  later
called  Cullenbourne.  In  1681,  George  Lingan  purchased  1,000  acres  of  land
near  Great  Gunpowder  Falls,  which  will  become  later  the  Perry Hall  estate.
In  1697,  one  of  the  Indian  sightings  in  Baltimore  County  was  recorded,
when  Charles  Hewitt  testified  that  Susquehannock  Indians  raided  his  home
During  the  time  of  1700-1759  things  began  to  fall  into  place  in  this
small  town  of  what  is  now  Perry  Hall.  Industries  were  starting,  such  as
forges,  furnaces,  and  farms.  In  1729,  The  Maryland  General  Assembly
created  Baltimore  Town,  later  becoming  Baltimore  County.  In  1731,  The
Baltimore  Company  opened  the  regions  first  iron  furnace  in  Gwynns Falls.
In  1749,  a  flood  swept  through  The  Great  Gunpowder  Falls  region  and
destroys  many  buildings,  including  the  Gunpowder  Iron  Works.  Also  in
1749,  Nottingham  Furnace  was  up  and  running.  In  1752,  a  devastating  fire
destroyed  Nottingham  Furnace.  In  1754,  Baltimore  County  Court  granted
Selah  Barton  to  operate  a  ferry  over  Long  Calm  at  the  Great  Gunpowder
Falls.  In  1757,  the  Nottingham  Forge  was  opened  on  the  Great  Gunpowder
Falls.  In  1759,  Cullenbourne  was  sold  to  the  Nottingham  Company.
During  the  years  of  1760-1850,  Perry Hall  was  going  through  a
religious  revolution,  also  the  town  was  still  going  through  its  industrial
period.  In  1760,  Robert  Strawbridge,  a  Methodist  missionary,  went  to
northeastern  Baltimore  County  and  converted  many  slaves  and  backcountry
residents.  In  1774,  Harry  Dorsey  Gough  purchased  the  1,000  acres,  once
owned  by  George  Lingan,  and  renames  it  Perry  Hall.  In  1780,  Nottingham
Furnace  and  Forge  was  confiscated  as  British  Property.  In  1784,  the
Methodist  church  was  formally  organized  and  Francis  Asbury  was  named
bishop.  In  1807,  Camp  Meeting  Chapel  was  built.  In  1880,  Harry  Dorsey
Gough  died,  he  was  born  in  1745.  In  1812,  the  first  cannon  fires  were
heard  in  Perry  Hall  during  the  British  invasion  of  Baltimore.  In  1814,
Gunpowder  Copper  Works  was  up  and  running,  producing  materials  for  the
U.S.  Navy  during  the  War  of  1812.  In  1817,  the  Joppa  Iron  Works  is
operating.  In  1824,  fire  destroyed  the  Perry  Hall  mansion.  In  1832,  fire
destroyed  the  Joppa  Iron  Works.  In  1848,  Camp  Chapel  closed  until  1850.
During  the  time  between  1850-1900,  Perry  Hall  was  called
Germantown.  This  was  when  German  and  Irish  immigrants  settled  in  Perry
Hall,  also  when  new  religions  were  introduced  to  the  people  of  Perry  Hall.
In  1850,  Catholics  began  to  congregate  at  the  Krastel  farmhouse,  this
represent  the  start  of  St.  Josephs  Roman  Catholic  Church.  The  year  1852
was  the  turning  point  in  local  history,  when  Harry  Dorsey  Gough  Carroll,
Harry  Dorsey  Goughs  grandson,  sold  the  Perry  Hall  estate  to  Eli  Slifer  and
William  Meredith.  They  divided  the  estate  between  new  European
immigrants.  In  1858,  the  dam  at  Long  Calm  due  to  flooding  and  destroys
Gunpowder  Furnace.  In  1859,  Lutherans  begin  organizing  St.  Michael
Lutheran  Church.  In  1866,  Baltimore  City  purchased  the  Gunpowder  Copper
Works.  In  1874,  Baltimore  Countys  commissioners  approve  the  first  public
school  in  Germantown.  In  1876,  the  Akehurst  family  began  Perry  Halls
first  nursery.  In  1877,  George  Penn  became  Germantowns  first  postmaster.
In  1878,  local  residents  organized  Germantown  Building  and  Loan.  A
second  Perry  Hall  School  opens  in  1890.  In  1895,  residents  formed  the
Perry  Hall  Permanent  Building  and  Loan  Association.  (Marks,p.160-161)
During  the  early  part  of  the  Twentieth  Century,  1900-1945,  Perry  Hall
was  undergoing  several  technological  changes.  In  1914,  the  Baltimore
Embroidery  Company  began  production.  In  1915,  MacMahon  Brothers  starts
a  bus  service  that  runs  through  Perry  Hall.  Many  Perry  Hall  farmers  are
forced  into  the service  in  1918,  when  America  becomes  involved.  In  1925,
the  Crystal  Palace  opens.  In  1932,  the  Berg  dairy  opens.  In  1933,  there
was  a  mysterious  fire  destroying  the  Crystal  Palace.  In  1941,  World  War  II
forces  at  least  215  Perry  Hall  residents  to  enlist  in  the  military,  only  4  out
of  215  deaths  were  reported.  (Marks,p.161)
During  1945-1980  Perry  Hall  was  going  through  a  postwar  growth.  In
1946,  the  Kingsville-Perry  Hall  Rotary  Club  was  chartered  to  Fork  Christian
Church.  In  1949,  the  Perry  Hall  Improvement  Association  (PHIA)  starts  its
annual  Halloween  parade.  In  1953,  the  Kingsville-Perry  Hall  Lions  Club  is
chartered  to  Kingsville  Inn.  In  1954,  Baltimore  Countys  commissioners
extended  sewerage  to  most  of  Perry  Hall.  In  1956,  Perry  Hall  Elementary
School  opens,  also  Perry  Hall  Medical  Group  open  a  professional  center.  In
1961,  Perry  Halls  first  shopping  center  opens.  In  1962,  Chapel  Hill
Elementary  School  opens.  In  1963,  Perry  Hall  Senior  High  School  opens,
also  community  leaders  dedicate  the  Perry  Hall  Library.  In  1968,  fire
destroys  Perry  Halls  A&P  grocery store.  In  1969,  construction  on  Perry
Halls  first  apartment  complex,  Chapel  Manor,  began.  Gunpowder
Elementary  School  opens  and  a  mysterious  fire  destroys  part of  Berg  dairy
in  1970.  In  1971,  Hurricane  Agnes  causes  White  Marsh  Run  to  flood.
Since  1980  Perry  Hall  has  been  about  becoming  more  modernized.  In
1981,  White  Marsh  Mall  was  opened,  it  was  one  of  the  largest  malls  on
the  East  Coast.  In  1983,  fire  destroyed  the  original  Camp  Chapel  Methodist
Church.  In  1984,  Waldmans  Seven-Mile  House  to  build  a  office  building
and  townhouses.  In  1986,  White  Marsh  Health  Center  and  White  Marsh
Business  Center  were  opened.  In  1987,  the  White  Marsh  public  library  and
police  station  opened,  also  Perry  Hall  Merchant  Association  began.  In  1989,
Nottingham  branch  of  the  U.S.  Postal  Service  opened.  In  1990,  Joppa  View
Elementary  School  opened,  also  five  movie  theaters  were  opened  in  Perry
Hall  Square  Shopping  Center  and  Republicans  made  gains  in  local  elections.
In  1997,  the  Perry  Hall  Business  and  Professional  Association  (PHBPA)
held  the  first  town  fair  and  a  new  town  logo  was  unveiled  there.  In  1999,
the  Perry  Hall  mansion  and  Camp  Chapel  Church  were  declared  historical
landmarks  and  in  2000  Perry  Hall  celebrated  its  225th  anniversary  as  a
named  community.  (Marks,p.162-163)
The  1996  population  estimates  (000s)  for  the  Perry  Hall/White  Marsh
area  was  50.2  (BC  by  the  Numbers:  A  Demographic  Study  of  BC-
1998-1999,p.63).  Perry  Halls  calculated  population  in  1990  was  22,723:
males-  10,973,  females-  11,750.  The  racial  composition  is:  White-  21,149
(93.1%),  Black-  592  (2.6%),  American  Indian-  9  (0.0%),  Asian/Pacific-  941
(4.1%),  Other-  32  (0.1%),  and  Hispanic-  294  (1.3%).  The  age  composition
is:  0  to  4-  2,013,  5  to  17-  3,701,  18  to  20-  652,  21  to  24-  1,064,  25  to
44-  9,277,  45  to  54-  2,113,  55  to  59-  855,  60  to  64-  963,  65  to  74-
1,458,  75  to  84-  532,  and  85+-  95.  (Health  Profile  &  Select  Demographics
Perry  Halls  religious ancestry  is  Methodist.  It  was  at  Perry  Hall
Mansion  that  plans  for  the  Methodist  Church  of  America  were  developed
by  Francis  Asbury,  Harry  Dorsey  Gough,  and  a  handful  of  early  Methodist
leaders.  These  pioneers  helped  start  Camp  Chapel  Church,  which  was
followed  by  Perry  Hall  United  Methodist  Church  in  1866.  Methodism  was
the  main  religion  in  Perry  Hall  until  1850,  when  many  German  and  Irish
families  settled  here.  They  brought  with  them  the  religions  of  Roman
Catholicism  and  Lutheranism.  Between  1850  and  1870,  three  new  churches
were  built  in  Perry  Hall.  (Marks,online)
St.  Josephs  Roman  Catholic  Church  began  in  1850.  The  first  services
were  held  in  the  Krasten  farmhouse  near  Fullerton.  When  this  became  too
small,  the  growing  parish  moved to a  new  location  and  this  site  was  used
until  1971,  when  the  current  building  was  completed.  Germantown  Lutheran
Church,  or  known  now  as  St.  Michaels  Lutheran  Church,  began  March  7,
1859.  Perry  Hall  Presbyterian  Church,  organized  in  1856,  was  an  outreach
effort  for  Hamilton  Presbyterian  Church.  By  Easter  Sunday,  1957,  a
three-car  garage  next  to  the  Manse  had  been  renovated  into  Fellowship
Hall.  This  was  used  until  1966,  when  the  present  sanctuary  was  dedicated.
Perry  Halls  first  Baptist  congregation  was  organized  in  1957.  Ground  was
broken in  1960  for  Perry  Hall  Baptist  Church.  These  are  Perry  Halls  largest
organized  churches.  Local  churches  are  united  under  the  Perry  Hall
Perry  Hall  now  has  five  elementary  schools,  a  middle  school,  and  a
high  school.  Chapel  Hill  Elementary  School  was  built  in  1962,  Gunpowder
Elementary  School  opened  in  1970,  Seven  Oaks  and  Joppa  View
Elementary  Schools  were  first  used  in  the  1990  school  year,  and  Perry  Hall
Elementary  School  opened  in  1956.  Perry  Hall  Middle  School  is  on  what
used  to  be  Perry  Hall  Senior  High  School.  Perry  Hall  Senior  High  School
opened  in  1963,  it  has  been  operating  at  its  present  location  since  1967.
For  many  years,  Perry  Hall  was  one  of  the  few  communities  where  its
three  public  schools  were  located  on  the  same  street.  (Marks,online)
As  presently  defined,  Perry  Hall  includes  that  region  of  northeastern
Baltimore  County  bordered  by  the  Great  Gunpowder  Falls  on  the  north,
Philadelphia  Road  on  the  east,  White  Marsh  Run  on  the  south,  and  the
Baltimore  Gas  and  Electric  transmission  lines  on  the  west.  Immediately  west
of  Perry  Hall  is  Carney,  named  for  Thomas  and  Mary  McDermot  Carney.
To  the  north  of  Perry  Hall,  just  across  the  Gunpowder  River,  are  the  rural,
rolling  hills  of  Glen  Arm  and  Baldwin.  East  of  Perry  Hall  is  Kingsville,
named  for  Abraham  King.  To  the  south  is  White  Marsh,  which  takes  its
name  from  the  White  Marsh  Plantation  established  by  Captain  Charles
Perry  Hall  went  from  a  town  with  dirt  roads  and  wooden,  shack
farmhouses  to  one  of  the  most  prominent  towns  in  Baltimore  County.  They
went  from  paying  $200  for  a  tract  of  land  to  paying  $150,327  for  a  three
bedroom,  single  home.  Perry  Hall  is  a  historical  town  but  since  the
beginning  they  have  done  nothing  but  modernize.  They  demolished
Waldmans  Seven-Mile  House  to  make  way  for  townhouses  and  Bishops
Inn  for  a  Kentucky  Fried  Chicken.
The  health  of  Baltimore  county  is  better  than  Baltimore  City.  Every
week  in  Baltimore  County  80  people  are  diagnosed  with  cancer,  39  people
die  from  heart  disease,  14  mothers  give  birth  to  a  low  birth  weight  baby,  1
person  is  diagnosed  with  AIDS,  and  1  person  is  diagnosed  with  syphilis.
Most  people  in  Baltimore  County  are  overweight:  34%  of  females  and  42%
of  males.  Between  1997-1998  5  girls  between  the  ages  of  15-17  gave  birth.
Perry  Hall  is  policed  by  the  9th  Precinct.  To  date  this  year  no
homicides  have  been  reported.  The  thing  that  people  have  to  worry  about
is  burglary  and  theft.  This  year  189  cases  of  burglary  and  566  cases  of
theft  have  been  reported.  Perry  Hall  isnt  a  bad  town  but  you  are  going  to
have  crime  wherever  you  go.  (Crime  Stats  by  Community,  online)
There  are  many  places  of  interest  in  Perry  Hall.  Two  would  be  White
Marsh  Mall  and  The  Avenue  at  White  Marsh.  They  are  places  to
hang-out  with  friends,  go  shopping,  watch  a  movie,  or  get  something  to
eat.  Two  more  places  of  interest  are  Perring  Plaza,  many  people  go  there
for  the  Wendys,  and  Perry  Hall  Square  Shopping  Center,  many  people  go
there  for  the  tennis  shoe  warehouse.
Perry  Hall  is  a  prominent  town  filled  with  housing  projects  and
businesses.  To  live  in  Perry  Hall  means  that  you have  some  sort  of  money.
Perry  Hall  has  a  long  history  which  in  turn  gives  them  many  historical
buildings.  The  health  and  crime  factors  in  Perry  Hall  are  good  numbers
compared  to  Baltimore  City.

Cite This Work

To export a reference to this essay please select a referencing style below:

Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.

Leave a Comment